• The MNI Ad Network is the #1 Local Ad Focus Network in the nation, reaching 94% of the total U.S. digital population, equating to 237,075,000 unique visitors last month.
Source: comScore January 2017.
• CPG is investing more in digital advertising. Last year, 15.9% of CPG budgets went to digital advertising, compared to 15.5% on traditional. This year, digital investments are expected to reach 20% of their total marketing budget, compared to 13% on traditional.
Source: Study: CPG Now Spends More on Digital than Traditional Ads | AdvertisingAge | February 23, 2017.
• U.S. programmatic digital display advertising will total $31.87 Billion in 2017, accounting for more than three-quarters of all digital display ad spending. Programmatic direct spending will total $17.21 Billion, or more than half of the amount budgeted toward programmatic display buying.
Source: U.S. Digital Display Advertising Trends 2017 | eMarketer | January 2017.
• Roughly half of all U.S. marketers purchase native programmatically, and have allocated almost 20% of their native ad budgets toward native programmatic. Programmatic is expected to increase by 56% this year and marketers have dedicated 39% of native ad budgets toward social native, which can be classified as a programmatic transaction.
Source: For Native Advertising, 2017 Looks Like a Year of Clarity | eMarketer | January 30, 2017.
• Content advertising is projected to grow into a $50 Billion market by 2021, up from $12.8 Billion in 2016—a growth of 32% year-over-year, and growing twice as fast as digital advertising as a whole.
Source: Content Advertising Projected To Be $50 Billion Market By 2021 | MediaPost | February 13, 2017.
• Original content is king, and Netflix knows it. The streaming service is looking to significantly boost its original content library this year, with plans to spend $6 Billion on new content, both acquired and original, and to expand total programming hours to 1,000, over last year’s 600.
Source: For Netflix, Original Content Is the New Black | eMarketer | January 19, 2017.
• Global YouTube viewership has hit 1 Billion hours a day, and 85% of digital video viewers will watch video on YouTube this year. These factors position the video-sharing site for its next big move—capturing a greater share of TV ad dollars.
Source: YouTube Viewership Hits 1 Billion Hours a Day | eMarketer | February 28, 2017.
• Facebook has expanded its mid-roll video ads program, where it splits money from commercials with video creators on and off its properties, in a bid to attract higher-quality content and hook viewers for longer as it competes with YouTube, Snapchat, and Twitter for the ad dollars that follow.
Source: Facebook's Commercial Breaks Are Ready for Primetime | AdvertisingAge | February 23, 2017.
• Facebook is in talks with Major League Baseball to live stream one game per week during the upcoming season—a key win, as the social platform works to offer more live sports, one of the few types of content that people still watch live.
Source: Facebook in talks to live stream one MLB game per week | Reuters | February 21, 2017.
• The U.S. household is connected more than ever, with the average household having over nine active devices. Households with more than four people have over twelve active devices. This brings more light to recent trends in cross-device advertising.
Source: The State of Digital | comScore | February 14, 2017.
• Two-thirds of U.S. Millennials say they are likely to buy an item directly from a chatbot, reiterating their proclivity toward experimenting with technology, and their propensity to make purchases via smartphones. Read more on Millennial advertising trends.
Source: If Anyone Is Going to Buy Directly from a Chatbot, It's Millennials | eMarketer | February 27, 2017.
sign up for our newsletter.
LATEST TRENDS AND INSIGHTS
WHITE PAPER: Holiday Trends
Brands that start planning holiday campaigns early increase their chances of getting their piece of the holiday pie.