LATEST TRENDS AND INSIGHTS
WHITE PAPER: Holiday Trends
Brands that start planning holiday campaigns early increase their chances of getting their piece of the holiday pie.
The U.S. CPG industry is rife with opportunity–offline and online sales are expected to cross $407 billion this year–as consumers are starting to feel optimistic about the economy. With sales dollars pouring in, CPG advertisers will battle it out to ensure that they command a significant share of the mind and the market.
Here are some market and media trends to watch out for as CPG brands work towards cutting through the clutter, by diverting ad dollars into digital advertising and leveraging the power of print media.
• Offline and online CPG sales will see a positive momentum in 2016, with online sales gaining traction.
• Millennials fuel online CPG shopping, owing to convenience, value and interactivity offered by
digital purchasing platforms.
• CPG ad spending will witness a boost, with the industry touted to have the highest ad spend CAGR for the
five year period up to 2020. Digital advertising will gain a considerable share of the ad spend pie, due to
consumers becoming more connected.
• Display video advertising will be favored in part because it is an extension of the sector’s preference for
television ads, and in part due to its targeting capabilities.
• Programmatic buying will witness an uptick, particularly around programmatic digital video advertising inventory.
• Utilizing first-party data (offline and online data, and shopper marketing data) and third-party data helps
CPG marketers better serve the right ads to the right consumers.
• Mobile advertising will receive a push as connected consumers consider mobile to be the most
important shopping tool.
• Beacon-triggered messages to shoppers are likely to positively impact customers’ in-store
• Native advertising offers marketers a platform to connect with consumers on an emotional level.
• Social media spend is expected to witness a thrust, as consumers are increasingly using social as
a means of purchase-decision making.
• Print advertising packs quite a punch, with magazines showing the highest return on ad spend for CPG brands.
For a more in-depth analysis of the latest CPG trends, contact one of our media experts today!
The US CPG and Consumer Products Industry 2016: Digital Ad Spending Forecast and trends | eMarketer | May 2016
sign up for our newsletter.